Wallpaper samples are now available!
Live beautifully with Bari J. patterns, prints and decor.
octobre 13, 2021
This week for One Room Challenge there’s a lot of prep work happening with finishing choices for all items. However, we are at a bit of a stand still while working on cabinetry quotes. Despite that, I thought this week I'd talk a bit about the process of designing and building this space to give you an idea what a pseudo kitchen space entails from a design standpoint. There are loads of moving parts. First I want to talk about lighting because there are some large mistakes that you can make when choosing, and often we don't see the fixtures in person until they arrive. Next, you will find a design execution guide. But first, since I didn't mention them last week, I'll talk about the plumbing fixtures I chose from sponsor, Signature Hardware.
I ended up choosing to go with chrome faucets because we currently have chrome in the kitchen, and though I'm not into matchy matchy, I decided in this case to stay consistent. Don't trust me to stay consistent in metals ever though. Note the gold and black light fixtures, and count on me to use another kind of cabinet hardware as well.
We got the single hole mount Aiken with a hand spray that will go in a second hole. We will have a reverse osmosis system for water under this sink so we will be using the Micah Water dispenser at the same sink. And for the sink, I went with a stainless steel 15" sink in gun metal black, the Atlas. I chose 15" because I wanted to conserve counter space in this room, and I felt the gun metal black will look sleek as a modern contrast to the rustic looking soapstone counters.
What we are not doing ourselves:
4. Pick finishes. You need to pick finishings before you lay out your space. You must know the width of the sink you'll use, sizes for any fixtures and sizes for any appliances. Of course you'll also want to pick your decorative finishes like wallpaper and get on ordering these items. Remember to always order samples. Often you'll see something in person and the scale or color is different than you may have assumed online. I also recommend that before you design, you've not just picked your items but also placed orders so that you know for fact the things your want are available. Especially right now. You probably know that due to the pandemic, there are many things that are out of stock. I do know that the ice maker I ordered will not be in until the end of the one room challenge and I just have to live with the idea it will not be totally finished on time. I want what I want, so I'll wait.
5. Use the measurements to layout the space. Depending on the type of cabinets, widths come standard in increments of 3" starting at 12", I'm told. I used a grid to layout the cabinets and using the appliance and sinks specs I gridded the room. You'll need to have 2" from each wall in a project such as ours so that doors open. And remember to account for all doors that open such as refrigerator doors. As I mentioned in my previous post, my friend, Lydia from Lydia Anderson Designs also did a grid layout and a front facing layout based on what I gave her. As she does cabinets all the time, I trust her to make sure I'd done it all correctly and really to supervise the cabinet part of the project. We are still on the fence as to who we are going with to actually make and install the cabinets based on several factors: Quality, price and location of the carpenter. More on that later. Hold off on ordering your cabinets until the following three steps are complete if possible.
6. Demo can begin while the above is ongoing. However, it's best to have a clear space, so that measurements can be exacting. For instance, walls are often not completely plumb. A good carpenter will take all of that into account and finishes can be scribed. A best case scenario includes demoing, placing all electrical and plumbing and then drywalling before doing a final order of cabinetry. It's the cabinets that need to be well fitted.
7. Installation of electrical and plumbing. Once demo is finished, placement of electrical and plumbing can be executed.
8. Drywall installation. Once drywall is up and measurements are completed, cabinets can be ordered. Truthfully, this is not always possible, but it really would be the very best practice. For this project, we are not taking it to the studs so we will have repairs but not all new drywall. Therefore, cabinets will be ordered prior to finishing the drywall. Likely next week.
9. Painting. Painting can happen before install of cabinets or after. We've been torn on this with all of our projects. If you paint before, you'll likely have touchups. If you paint after, you'll have to do a lot of prep and taping off. Up to you. Contractors I've talked to have been split on this as well.
10. Floor tile installation.
11. Cabinet and appliance installation.
12. Laser measurement for countertops.
13. Sink and counter installation.
14. Backsplash tile installation. Note: we have installed backsplash tile before counters before, and it's possible, but not recommended. It's a much better fit if you do it after.
15. Wallpaper installation. We are a bit torn on the order of this because it's dependent on several things. First, sometimes installers will drip glue on new paint. So if the paint is high gloss, you might want to do paint after. The paint that will meet up with the wallpaper in this case will be ceiling paint. It will also meet up with the backsplash. All of this can be wiped of glue. Therefore, in this particular instance we will install after the backsplash. My point is that this can vary so it's important to think it through.
16. Floating shelves can now be installed if they go over the wallpaper.
octobre 14, 2021
Bari that green is ridiculously good. This whole design is bonkers. Can’t wait to see it!
Love everything!! Do you mind sharing the green paint you’ve chosen for the cabinets. I want to use green with my Strawberry Thief paper, but I haven’t found one I really like. Thank you.
octobre 13, 2021
Love this! I’m in the process of designing a bijou walk in pantry. I love the option of being able to amp up the design.
janvier 30, 2023
Voir l'article entier
janvier 26, 2023
janvier 25, 2023