Get 10% off your first purchase now!
BLOOM WILD with Bari J.
Mixing and Matching for an Modern Eclectic Dining Room
May 23, 2019
Recently we gave our dining room a tiny facelift. With just the update of end chairs, a rug and a statement chandelier, the look was changed.
(Sponsored by Hudson Valley Lighting)
I realized that much of our home has modern furniture combined with traditional pieces. The dining room didn't flow with that. So mixing and matching was the answer there as well.
• First I added tulip chairs that I found on Amazon. I felt the old black and white upholstered chairs were nice, but didn't flow with the rest of the house.
• Next, I added a plaid black and white rug for a bit of pattern.
• Then I added the curtains with a floral pattern for a more eclectic look.
• And then the big statement piece came in: the chandelier.
Rules are Meant to be Broken
Here I broke a scale "rule". If you look up the size a chandelier should be over a table, you'll find a rule of thumb that it should be no larger in dimension than 3/4 the width of your table.
But I had a feeling that a larger chandelier would give the space some serious POP. And I can't say I was wrong.
This is the 36"
Hudson Valley Lighting Group Fleming Chandelier
in aged brass. The table is 39" wide, but this piece works absolutely beautifully.
Mixing patterns and styles will always make for a well curated look that's all your own.
Here are my top tips for an eclectic modern look:
1. Try a geometric print with a floral.
2. Leopard print anywhere is always a good plan.
3. Don't worry about style mixing. If you like it, it will work.
4. Do think about how things flow from one room to another.
5. While, I don't think a chandelier at just 3/4 of the table is necessary, I wouldn't go any wider than the table.
Chandelier provided by Hudson Valley Lighting:
36" Fleming Chandelier in Aged Brass
Handwoven Cotton Black Area rug by Dash and Albert
Wall: Handpainted by Bari J.
Shelving: barnwood from
Curtains: IKEA curtains trimmed out in vintage fabric and lined by
J and M Designs
Tulip Chairs: Amazon
Table: Crate and Barrel (2001)
Leopard Print Pillow: Ballard Designs
Leave a comment
Also in BLOOM WILD with Bari J.
One Room Challenge - Week Seven
June 16, 2021
One Room Challenge - Week Six
June 09, 2021
One Room Challenge - Week 5 - How to pull color and pattern together
June 02, 2021