May 19, 2021
A big thank you again to Linda of the One Room Challenge and media sponsor, Better Homes and Gardens for making this event happen. I'm so grateful to be a part of it!
Because there's SO much tile in this room, I wanted to take this week to focus only on that.
Let's start with what the vanity wall will look like and how I planned it out. I planned two arches, one over each sink. These would be made from 2" hexagon tile. Both the white and the pink are tile from generous sponsor, The Tile Shop. I needed to know how each thing would be sized on the wall in order to make sure the scale would look right, and where to place electrical, plumbing etc before tiling the wall. To do this, I mocked up the layout in photoshop. You can see in the photo below, that I played with the height of the vanity light to see what I liked best. In the end, it was decided the light would be somewhere between the two heights. Because I thought it through like this, we were able to make sure everything was set up "just so" to make this wall happen.
Lights from sponsor, Hudson Valley Lighting - Mitzi - Hope Vanity Lights
A peek of the installed tile above!
For the shower I chose cement tile from another generous sponsor, Zia Tile. The plan is to not connect the dots as might be a typical installation but rather to offset them and not connect. You'll have to stay tuned for what we ended up doing. But what I'll say, is when you have tile in hand, lay it out a myriad of ways to make sure you're seeing all the patterns it creates when you move it around to different configurations.
This room has a lot of tile! After two other big tile jobs here and for a client, I have learned so much I want to share with you. This room has a full wall of tile over the vanity, the floor is tiled, the shower walls are tiled and the bathtub surround is tile. So, here's a few things to think about when working with tile:
The cement tile edge at the other side of the shower was tricky. The cement tile is 5/8". I initially wanted to do a Schluter edge for the transition. This is a metal solution. The piece of metal trim slips behind the tile and has a cap that finishes the edge. However, I couldn't find the size and color that I needed locally, and it was going to be many weeks before I could get it, so I needed another solution. I ended up going with a thick marble trim from The Tile Shop. It had a similar look to what we have on the counters plus it's super neutral.
The entire bathtub surround tile needed a finished edge as well. This was easier. The Imperial subway tile in matte ivory that we chose from The Tile shop had matching pencil trim. Easy. Done. That's what I chose.
First, as I mentioned in a previous post, that flooring had been raised to meet the flooring in the hallway which is very thick Flagstone. That means the bathroom floor had to be raised to meet the wood height. New cement was laid on top of the foundation to do this.
Second, the room's walls area all angles. The doorway is not parallel or perpendicular, for that matter, to anything else in the room. There are two parallel walls from the shower window to the bathtub wall. For this reason, the tile was started at the shower wall (also because it's the farthest from the door) and it goes in a straight line to the other wall. However, this meant at the closet doorway and the door to the bathroom itself, the tile would need to be cut at an angle. Which also meant there would be tiny tile cuts. To keep that from looking wonky, we added a wood T transition that sits between the hexagon and the wood from the bedroom and at the closet as well.
May 19, 2021
Excellent post! So many great points to think about! Thank you. _
June 16, 2021
June 09, 2021
June 02, 2021